Hey all, welcome back to week three of the Odd Prompts writing challenge. We’ve gotten some stellar submissions over the past two weeks, so be sure to check out the comments for both stories and community interaction. Tips on effective recalcitrant muse prodding are always appreciated.
Week three’s prompt list is below. Be sure to send in your suggestions for next week to email@example.com. Missed submitting an idea this week? Check out one of the extra prompts below the chart and join in!
Most of all, have fun. No minimum, no genre restrictions. You do you, then share with the rest of us – and thank you, for being willing to share.
|Becky Jones||You answer an ad for an in-house chef for what’s described as an “active investigations organization.” At the interview you find out it’s a monster hunting crew. Do you take the job?||nother Mike|
|B. Durbin||A pickle glows when you run 120V current through it. Why are you running a 120V current through a pickle?||Leigh Kimmel|
|Fiona Grey||“I am brave.” Why are you saying this phrase? Will you be persuasive? What actions will accompany your words?||Misha Burnett|
|Misha Burnett||A woman discovers her husband is having an affair with something that isn’t human.||Kat Ross|
|Cedar Sanderson||Living in a mossy forest, there is…||Cal Primer|
|Leigh Kimmel||Strange visit to a place at night—moonlight—castle of great magnificence etc. Daylight shews either abandonment or unrecognisable ruins—perhaps of vast antiquity.||Fiona Grey|
|Kat Ross||Photo Prompt (see below in post) Peekaboo Deer||Cedar Sanderson|
|Cal Primer||She looked over the cliff’s edge with a hint of longing.||B. Durbin|
|nother Mike||Your kids sent in your DNA samples for analysis, and the company wrote back, explaining that they only do human DNA analyses… What do you tell them? Describe that scene with your kids.||Becky Jones|
There were quite a few extra post submissions this week. Have at ’em!
- You cook (and/or bake) for stress relief. You’ve just had the worst day of your life. What happened, and what are you making?
- A rocket scientist is observed going through the trash. What’s his story?
- The alchemist was barely tall enough to see over the counter. “I shall need a copper tube, a kitten – recently dropped off by a pirate is best – and twelve glass flasks,” the voice squeaked.
- The scent of burning stars
- A trip to an amusement park based on one particular SF novel
- A conversation between a human and an AI appliance that won’t do what the human asks
- An adult discovers a toy from her or his childhood in an old box and the toy appears to be brand new and sparkling clean.
- In a quiet suburban neighborhood a mutated form of common plant or animal becomes a deadly threat.
- The online employment offer said you had to be willing to travel, but they didn’t tell you it would be that far out of this world…
- You hear a woman screaming in the parking lot behind your apartment building. But when you go back to look, there is only a deer there. What do you do?
See you in the comments!